Monday 15 June 2015

Remembering good times over bad times

I haven't made a post for a while, I had been quietly busy until hitting some rough patches as June got underway. 
It's very typical to get a rush of bad things but I suppose that is how life treats us all at times.

So I started June with a very bad back which made the stairs and moving about quite uncomfortable, fortunately a week later this has eased away with some tablets. 

I had the sad loss of my Grandma just over a week ago, she was just 2 months short of her 105th and we'd been looking forward to our gathering at her birthday party. At that age every year was a bonus and fortunately she had not suffered a long illness, a recent small stroke and then only days after coming out of hospital and back to the care home the news they didn't think she'd have long and that was about right. Expected in a way but odd to think she's been around forever and now she's gone.

But I'm pleased to have so many happy memories from childhood jaunts with my grandparents. It is certainly the encouragement of my Gran that I got in to baking, sewing, crochet and foraging with our legendary trips with sticks and buckets to the secret & best bramble bushes in our village. Summer bicycle rides with picnics, strawberry picking and jam making, happy days indeed.

Below, wedding day for Violet & Ted (Grandma & Grandad) 1930


Our clan after my christening. Back row L to R, mum, grandad, dad,
front row, my sister chomping away, grandma, and great grandma holding me!


Days after that news another family member was taken into hospital, out now and hopefully settling down a bit. And then almost hospitalised was my nearest and dearest who seems to be slowly returning to normal.

I hope good times are around the corner, just getting back to a normalish routine is something to be thankful for.

I shall move swiftly on to a charity event I'm involved with.

3 comments:

greenrabbitdesigns said...

Awe I'm really sorry about your Grandmother Sally, I know what you mean, you think they'll be here forever but almost 105 is a very long and by the sound of it well lived life.
Hopefully your life will settle down again now, sometimes we get these runs of bad times.
V x

Shaheen said...

Oh I am so sorry to learn about your Grandmother, I remember only last year you celebrating one of her amazing birthdays, but as you say she has instilled in you a love for life and crafts, so she will still be with you in some way. I hope your nearest and dearest is recovering too and that this low time passes with some promise of positive things x

helenjean@midgetgemquilts said...

My father has a saying, a life well lived and a life well loved, and it certainly sounds as if your grandmother had that. No matter, it is always hard to lose a loved one. I do love her wedding photo and I am glad you had her for a long and well lived and well loved life.