Thursday 21 May 2015

New work, crochet and flowers

May had a slow start but I've ended up very busy, mainly with design work and that is keeping me tied to my desk at the moment.

It's the time of year I do label designs for my vineyard client and this year they are releasing some new wines with my illustrations on the labels. I can give you a sneak preview of the new East Coast and Dalesman wine which sound delicious.


The wines are doing very well and picking up plenty of awards these days.


Next in my in tray is a new client which is something completely different, a logo to design for an American space science institute, wish me luck with that one!

In between proper work I've just completed a commission for a crochet flower garland necklace which I've made in some lovely bright cotton threads.





To continue with a flower theme I'm revisiting a craft I used to do many years ago, or rather trying to get back into it for an idea I have and that is the folk art style decorative painting you see on canal boats.


I got my paints out last weekend and started practising the brush strokes. If I can paint a selection of floral motifs then I will try and create a fabric design. I just need some time to spread my paints out and get on with it, it's difficult when you have to work on the kitchen table and pack it away at meal times. Or rather not pack it away and we eat with loads of stuff on the table! Oh the joys of living in a messy confined space.


Hope the weather cheers up for the bank holiday :)

3 comments:

Shaheen said...

Good to see you busy Sally. The crochet necklace is absolutely gorgeous. My mother is getting back into knitting mostly for charity, she has been doing knitted monsters and dolls. I love the folksy art you see on canals, so look forward to seeing what you share with us.

helenjean@midgetgemquilts said...

you get to work on such diverse projects, your work day must be full of interest. Ill look out for the wine labels and I love the necklace. I tried barge painting once on pots, it was a lot harder than it looked, and barge painting and I parted company!

helenjean@midgetgemquilts said...

gosh you get to work on such diverse projects, it must keep your work days very interesting. Love the wine labels, must watch out for them. Love the crocheted necklace and I tried barge painting (not on an actual barge). It ended up as something else that looked much more easy than it is, it and I parted company!