Saturday 2 August 2014

Some recent creations and vintage books

It seems I finally got the cooler weather I wanted which has made it a bit easier for working again. I have to say though that it is noticeable the nights drawing in, I'm sure it's dark half an hour earlier than mid July, lets leave the grim thoughts right there!

I ordered myself some of the mini cards from Moo which lead to some little handmade business card holders to house them. All are in the style of string tie envelopes.



We have a bright pink floral felt one



Green Harris Tweed


This one is some handloomed fabric from Skye Batiks



On the subject of fabric I have my ditsy floral butterfly fabric samples back from print and they are now listed in the Spoonflower marketplace. I need to order myself some for making things.





Did a couple of designs in Regency style, chintzy stripes.


Also popped a new colour of camping fabric into the mix as it seems to be selling quite well following the caravan cushion tutorial in Mollie Makes.


Something else I have recently completed was this embellished linen shirt.
This was inspired by a wonderful blouse my friend the textile artist Corinne Young had made. The last time I saw Corinne she was wearing an amazing creation made from upcycled vintage table cloths, it really did look lovely. I'm not very good at dressmaking so wouldn't even attempt a blouse, my quickie version was to take an old shirt and embellish the bits of tablecloth on to. This linen shirt worked well as most of my tablecloths were linen.




I quite like it but I have had the comment it looks a bit country and western, hey ho, brings out my inner Dolly Parton!!

This brings me round to some lovely old vintage childrens books of mine which I picked up last time I was at my parents. A bit fusty and musty now and with a few scribbles on the pages but there are some fond memories when I look at the illustrations.








One last vintage item, my mum dug this out for me, it was my very first craft apron as a child. Some friends brought it back from Wales for me. I might give it a new life and turn it into something.



Time to go and as this picture says.......


4 comments:

greenrabbitdesigns said...

Love the vintage kitten pics, so cute!:)
Your floral fabrics are so pretty Sally and good job on the blouse!!
V x

patty said...

Thanks V, looks like the comments are working again :)

Shaheen said...

I've just ordered some business cards from Moo - awaiting their arrival. Love the embroided work on the blouse, its amazing how something so plain, can be enhanced and its unique too. I also absolutely love your child craft apron, I cannot believe that your mother has kept it for all those years - wow. I really do like the Welsh fabric, The Welshi in me is a little envious. I want a piece!

patty said...

Ah Shaheen, I secretly put that Welsh apron up to see if you spotted it, thought you'd like it! :) My mum hangs on to all sorts of old stuff! Hey I hope your Moo cards come out lovely, their things are always such nice quality.