Sunday 27 November 2011

Hull Vintage fair yesterday

Yesterday was the first vintage fair in Hull, quite nice that it was in the Guildhall although you can't see much from the picture below.



I have to say, now that I've been and as I've got the York vintage fairs to compare with, that it wasn't as good or rather there wasn't the variety of stalls that you get in York. We hoped there would be homeware, fabric / linen and arts and crafts but there was no fabric of any description, the only bit of homeware was a stall where they had made cake stands from loose plates and had some charity shop tea cups, and I didn't really see anything new on the craft stalls.


It was mainly clothes and not brilliant clothes either, and over priced, there seemed to be rack upon rack of horrible patterned, 1980's jumpers and smelly, stained arran jumpers. The odd bit of groovy 60's or 70's clothing is always so small and fitting in style that I don't stand a chance sourcing anything.
So, did I buy anything? Well I was remarkably restrained and only parted with a fiver for these 2 scarves! But I might sell one on Ebay.





I did manage a bun with a cuppa, it had sparkly glitter sprinkles on the top and I think I spent the rest of the afternoon with glitter bits round my mouth! Not a good look!
The catering was courtesy of Miss Poppys tea party, Beverley, who I know from networking.


After the vintage fair, made a quick trip over to Hepworths Arcade, had a look in the groovy Beasleys shop.
Some things never change, Dinsdales joke shop is the same as it was when I was a small child spending my pocket money on sneezing powder and jumping beans!



Was surprised to see Mr Baxters shop, next door, closing so nipped in and he is concentrating on online sales as he's run the shop for 40 yrs.




And, one final picture as I always think The Land of Green Ginger is a wonderful name for a street. I spotted this plaque on one of the office doors and it appears to be a line from one of my favourite films, Stardust, "second star on the right, straight on 'til morning".



2 comments:

greenrabbitdesigns said...

Well the bun did look delicious and let's face it Sally you don't get more seventies looking than glitter on your face! ;)
Vivienne x

patty said...

I like that and I suppose I should've been proud to look sparkly as I'm an ageing hippy & a big T-Rex fan!