Wednesday 19 January 2011

Ferens Open Exhibition - 1987 - 2011

Way back in 1987 I entered the Ferens Open Exhibition for the first time and I was lucky enough to have a piece of work selected which I still have today, see pic below of Hull Marina. As a young person recently out of college and starting my working life at an advertising agency as a junior designer I felt the world was my creative oyster. And it sort of confirmed my optimism by having a small painting in the Ferens.


How quickly that changes when the design agency turns into a workhouse cum slave shop and you end up moving on, and not for the first time I moved on from the frying pan into the fire! Until I found solace working happily again in the newspaper industry.


Anyway I have only entered the open exhibition once more in the 24 years since and was not successful on that attempt which kind of knocked my confidence to try again. I felt a bit like, who am I to think I'm some sort of artist, I'm not worthy of the Ferens!!


So, rightly or wrongly in my final year as a full member of East Riding Artists, I have decided to take the bull by the horns and enter 3 pieces of work in this years open. I am not showing the work in this post for 2 reasons, probably because mentioning it will now be the kiss of death as to whether I get anything accepted and two, it is actually work which has appeared in some form on the blog before.
I will know sometime after Feb 4th as to whether I've been accepted.



No comments: